Monday, April 4, 2011

Momma "Rocked" the Parkway

I wrote a recap last year when I ran the Rock the Park 10K. You can read it HERE. So I decided to recap the race again. This year I ran the half marathon. The race sold out at 6,500 people this year (double the amount of people that ran last year). The organizers did a great job dealing with the race on a much larger scale.

I've actually felt pretty relaxed running lately and my times are getting a little faster naturally... BUT... I've been fighting this dreaded "drainage" for WEEKS. I've done mucinex, allergy medicine, a round of antibiotics... and NOTHING is working. The mucinex seems to do the best job but it leaves me with a very dry mouth - not fun when you're trying to run 13.1 miles. Anyway, I knew I needed a clear set of pipes to run well so I took all of it Saturday morning - Seriously! I had a plan and I wasn't about to let this take me down. So, I got up SUPER early Saturday morning (4:30 am) to try a new morning routine (hot chocolate) and some time to get my body in gear (I'll leave it there). I took allergy medicine, mucinex, my inhaler and some Immodium AD (TMI but I always have stomach issues when I run). I also skipped the pasta on Friday night as I had started to think that was some of my stomach issues from previous races. For dinner Friday night I had half a chicken breast on a small salad. Saturday morning I had a small bowl of chocolate cheerios. I'm not sure which worked but it WORKED! I was able to breathe and I had NO stomach issues.

The weather was PERFECT - 45 degrees and only a slight breeze. It was cold at the start, my toes were actually numb the first mile, but then it was perfect once warmed up. I did the first mile right on pace and felt really good. Then at mile 2 and 3 I was just seconds ahead of where I planned on being. When mile 4's split popped up on my watch I knew I was going way too fast for my planned 2:10 group... and they were quite a few steps behind me. BUT... I felt REALLY good so I just kept going and the miles kept ticking away at pretty even splits.

Around mile 6 I knew that I was on pace for a PR and feeling pretty good so I made up my mind that I was going for it. I felt pretty good until mile 9 and then I started to drag some. I walked through a couple of aid stations and really had to push on mile 11 but then I hit the last two miles and knew that they were both downhill and I was going to hit my PR. I was hurting but I pushed myself through and ran 2:06:17. My best half marathon ever was 2:08:12 and that was in 2007. Last October I ran a 2:12:29 which was my best of the last two years. So, I took 6 minutes off of my time from October!! I was pretty ecstatic and riding a high all day long.

I went directly from my run to Reid's soccer game, lunch and then playing outside with the boys. I actually wasn't able to even shower until 3:00. It was a BUSY day for sure. I went to bed that night at 9:30 and I was ready to be off my feet!

These were my splits:
1 - 10:31
2 - 9:58
3 - 9:45
4 - 9:24
5 - 9:25
6 - 9:24
7 - 9:34
8 - 9:23
9 - 9:42
10 - 9:23
11 - 9:55
12 - 9:30
13 - 9:00
.1 - 8:51

I'm pacing a half on 4/16 in Olathe for the 2:25 group which should be relatively easy for me and then on 5/1 I am going to Lincoln for another half marathon. I'm now in the process of deciding what my attack plan for Lincoln is going to be? Push it? Enjoy it? Pace it?

No comments: