Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A whole lot of updates

My blogging has been less frequent lately and the updates have been more centered on Ross so I thought I'd do one blog with updates on all of us, including me - so for today the Blog will have to be McDowell boys... and mom!
Russ

Russ is enjoying a semester off of school, not that I think he's noticed a break in the action. Things have been busy with a new addition in the house and Russ has been solidly working out in the mornings before work since Christmas. Russ weighed in at 174.6 on January 4th and is down to 156 now. He's in very good shape and continuing to work towards several goals. Russ has a busy season of orienteering and adventure racing planned along with some 5Ks. We're hoping his knee and ankles hold up for all of the running.
Russ is again coaching Reid's hockey team in the spring and practices start next week. And unfortunately, just as summer and decent weather begin to arrive... it will be back to school for dad.

Carmen

Hmm... me. I've been focusing on my mommy role for the most part of the last five months but it is now the beginning of my favorite season of the year... running season! I've been getting more and more miles in during the warmer days and it feels so good! I've got 10k's, 5k's, duathlons, adventure races all planned on my calendar. This Saturday is a 10K on Ward Parkway. The weather forecast looks like a good chance of rain but not too cold so it should go well.

I've got 13 pounds of baby weight left to get off still too so that has been a major focus the last couple of months. I've lost 18 pounds in the last 10 weeks doing a biggest loser challenge at work and I'm focused on seeing the progress through to at least my pre-pregnancy weight (if not 5 - 10 pounds off of that too).

My best friend was in last weekend and we had the best time! We got to do a lot of my favorites. We got pedicures on Friday, scrapbooked all day on Saturday and just had a great time being together. I'm already craving more time with her! It was so nice to scrapbook again too - I've got the bug again and can't wait to plan another day. Russ watched all three boys the entire day I scrapbooked and they all did really well so it made it very easy to enjoy myself.

Reid -



Reid is getting over a pretty nasty cold right now but he has been a trooper. He's had a barky cough for a week but if we ask him if he feels bad he always says he is fine. I took him to urgent care at Children's Mercy last Friday and they said it was just croup/a cold.

Reid is becoming a rock star at reading. He is reading around a 2nd to 3rd grade reading level according to the books we get at the library. At school he is reading in reading group E and he reads with the teacher by himself as no one else is in his level. Last night when we were reading "Zug the Bug" we came to the word 'inside' and Reid read it as 'incidentally.' I had to bite my cheeks to keep from laughing, he has quite the vocabulary. :)

Reid is starting up another round of sports for the spring/summer. Soccer starts this weekend, hockey starts in the next couple of weeks and he is signed up for summer baseball. He'll also have swimming lessons during the day this summer. Only two more months of school left. Alyssa, our babysitter from last summer, will be watching Reid and Ryan again this summer. We're excited to have her back and certainly ready for the better weather!
Ryan
Ryan has been having more good days than bad days lately and we have all enjoyed that. He still has his rare moments where he lacks self control but they are shorter and fewer these days. He is getting so smart as well. He knows more than half of his capital letters and loves to read books (especially at night if it delays bed time). Last night he actually came out back to play soccer and did really well. He was dribbling the ball up and down the back yard with great control. He keeps "saying" that he wants to play outdoor soccer but only if mom is his coach so I think we're going to skip it until at least the fall to make sure he is ready this time.
He will do swimming lessons this summer and will also be home with Alyssa. Hopefully we'll find a few more things that he likes to do with some family trips - miniature golf, bowling, movies... Have I mentioned that I can't wait for summer??

Ross (BRJ)
As I said yesterday, Baby Ross is just SOO happy these days. He's all smiles when he isn't hungry. He's going to bed earlier (between 7 and 7:30) and going down pretty easy... we're still working on sleeping for longer stretches but I think we're getting closer. Ross is really enjoying playing in his exersaucer, getting closer and closer to rolling over, and still loves his bath time.

This week he has tried green beans and rice cereal with applesauce and liked both.


Ross (hockey Ross) - The Stover team played Central Districts last weekend and won all three games to earn a trip to Nationals - WOO HOO! They will be going to Chicago April 6th through 11th. We thought about driving down as a family to watch but Reid would have to miss school and just decided it was too much hassle with all of the boys. Plus, I have basically no vacation at work :( But, Russ does get to go. He's riding the team vans down and will be with the team throughout the tournament. We are so excited for the Russell Stovers team... and for Hockey Ross!

Ross is done with school at Olathe East and is starting his new semester at his school back home so they will be sending him his assignments until nationals are over and he goes back home. He gets to go to prom at home and graduate with his friends that he grew up with, so it's the best of both worlds for him. This season really was a great opportunity for him yet he didn't have to give up his entire senior year with his class.

Can't wait to see what's in Ross' future. I'd be very happy to have him back at our house next year but I know his true desire is to move on to the next level so we'll hope for the best for him.

No comments: