Friday, May 6, 2011

Updates in an abbreviated fashion...

WOW, it's been a while, huh? Life is FLYING by these days. Here are a few updates, coupled with camera phone pictures.

1. Ryan continues to surprise us with how mature he is getting these days. Still, in Ryan fashion, he has been going 100 mph at most times (hmmm... I wonder where he gets that). He has been playing SOO hard at Beth's that this picture is what he looks like most nights when we get home from daycare. He is typically so sound asleep that I leave him in the van for a while or bring him in and leave him on the couch for a while. Last night he slept until 7pm and then still went to bed at 9pm and slept "almost" all night (he ended up in my bed at 4:30am).

Ryan also continues to do really well at soccer. Last weekend he had FOUR goals in his game. He really seems to be quite a natural in soccer with great control of the ball. Next week is his first tee ball practice and we're hoping he takes to playing baseball like he has soccer as well.

2. Reid is still busy with hockey, soccer and baseball right now. He has three weekends of hockey left and four of soccer. Last week he had two goals in soccer, hit a great line drive in baseball, and had a rough hockey game. His baseball season is just getting started. His team got a sponsor and they bought them these jerseys. They are the Robinnette Jackhammers and they look pretty sharp:


Oh, and 46 got his new hockey stick in the mail as well...

3. Last weekend I finished my spring races with a half marathon in Lincoln, NE. I finished in 2:07:40. I was running with the 2:05 group but they took off too fast and I just couldn't keep up. I ended up taking a 30 second walk break and a 60 second walk break. Then I realized I was still on pace to PR and I shouldn't have walked. Oh well, lesson learned. It was a good race and a great bus trip/weekend. And I feel like I learned a lot from the mistakes I made.

This picture is of the finish line on the 50yard line of the Nebraska stadium. It's not of me, I took this of a friend that was finishing the full marathon but figured the picture reminded me of the experience anyway.

Russ and I have an 8 hour adventure race tomorrow and then I have a couple of planned 5Ks but nothing else major planned until Chicago in October. I'm taking May pretty light and then in June I am starting my Chicago training!!

4. Last week Ross turned 18 months old. He is SOO much fun right now. And by "fun" I do also mean that he is wearing his mom and dad out many nights :) He is into everything and knows what he wants, when he wants it. He's starting to talk more and more. At his 18 month well-child check up the doctor said that he's at a developmental level of a 24 month old. He's STILL very into his dad... He likes both of us a lot when he hasn't seen us for the day - I LOVE picking him up from daycare... BUT, you should see him react when he hasn't seen his dad for a while. The kid wants nothing but being held by his dad.

We're storing this bench for a friend that is trying to sell her house and he loves sitting up to the table at it. He's such a big boy!

5. May 4th was Russ and I's NINE year wedding anniversary. We're officially 'old and comfortable'... we didn't really do much. He had a happy hour for work and it was a week night. We are; however, doing an 8 hour adventure race together this weekend and it's actually something we both enjoy doing together... so, that's our date day!


6. School's almost out!! I'm very ready for the break from homework, schedules, waking the boys up etc. With school finishing soon, they have been doing end of the year testing. Reid's teacher pulled me aside Thursday while I was at the school volunteering. I had noticed when I arrived at the school that he is now sitting alone at the back of the classroom. The rest of the class' desks are grouped and he is off solo. So, when approached, I was expecting yet another discussion about the fact that he can't leave other kids alone and doesn't pay attention during work time. Luckily, his teacher was approaching me to discuss his testing. She had tested Reid the day before on his reading level and was impressed that he passed the QRI 5 level (5th grade). She said that most kids don't pass this particular test as it is a non-fiction book about the Earth and has some difficult comprehension questions but he passed them all. She is going to speak with his second grade teacher and refer him for testing into the gifted program next year. We are VERY proud of him. However, just to keep us grounded... he IS still mis-behaving in the classroom. As I was leaving the school that day I peeked back into his classroom and he was putting his finger up to a kid's face sitting next to him to see how close he could get his finger to his nose without touching him!

No comments: