Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

Once upon a time I would wake up each Mother's Day and run the Mother's Day 5K.  I didn't do it last year and I didn't really consider running it this year.  They don't allow boys to run it and it's really a family affair so it doesn't seem right to go by myself.

Typically my favorite Mother's Day breakfast is Toaster Strudels.  They are horrible for you and I save them for this one and only day every year.  However, this year I'm doing the Advocare 24 day challenge and they are on the restricted list.  That's okay.  They are purchased and in my freezer and we will have a make up date sometime this summer :)

So, this sounds like a miserable Mother's Day, right... no favorite breakfast, no running?  It was far from it!  I slept in until 8am.  I actually heard Ross get up around 6:30, woke up around 7, and then dozed off and on and laid in bed until my requested breakfast in bed time of 8am.  Russ stuck to my 24 day challenge rules and made me wheat toast with natural peanut butter, strawberries, and pineapple (and only water to drink).  And the boys were happy to help me eat it.

Perfectly made to fit within plan!

After I ate breakfast, we did a bunch of just hanging out and getting around slowly... RELAXING.  I had been scrapbooking the night before with my friend, Suzanne and stayed up until almost 11pm - Gasp!  That's really late for me these days.  Eventually we decided we'd have to make some lunch plans and find something to do.  Some moms like the time away from their kids on Mother's Day... we tend to make it more of a family day.  We celebrate the fact that I have these fabulous monkeys that made me a mom.

Yep, I'll take a day with my boys outdoors any day!

Russ had the great idea to go geo caching out at the Arboretum.  We hadn't been out there since family pictures like 6 years ago.  We stopped at the grocery store and picked up some lunchables for the kids and salads and fruit for Russ and I.  (no mexican, no fish tacos... but the salads were still pretty good).  We went into the Arboretum and found a picnic table and had a nice picnic lunch followed by some geo caching and hiking. I wore my Garmin to see how much distance we covered and we walked over 2.5 miles and were there for almost three hours.  We even spotted a group of like 6 deer while finding one cache and got within 20 feet of them. Not a bad afternoon.

Silly Russ! I was walking behind him on the trails and he took the photo including me so we joked around that I was photo bombing him.

So, of course, the boys got on a 'photo bomb' kick

I don't even know... they were having fun.

3 years apart... I give it one year tops until the picture is turned around and Ryan is bigger and picking on Reid!

We came home after geo-caching and Ross was asleep within 30 seconds of sitting down on the couch.  We enjoyed the quiet, did some relaxing and playing on our computers and ended the night watching the season finale of Survivor as a family.

I think 2.5 miles is a long way for a guy whose legs are only 10 inches long :)

We decided during a Survivor commercial break that the lower hairy back of Ross' is called his 'butt-stache'

And although we did decide to celebrate Mother's Day with "our" little family, we did think about our own mothers as well.  Russ and I are both blessed to have fabulous mothers that love us and understand  our spending time creating our own memories.  Hoping to get to see both of them in the next month.  Happy Mother's Day Mom & Linda... Thanks for all that you do for us!!

No comments: