Friday, January 28, 2011

Reid McDowell Autobiography, Age 7

Reid's class has been working on their autobiography in school. He brought his home this week. I thought I'd share it so I had it documented as well. (portions in bold were pre-written on sheet for the students)

This story is all about Reid McDowell. I was born on September 17, 2003 in Olathe.

When I was little, I called fruit snacks fruit fracks. I called pancakes canpakes. I think that was funny.

When I was in kindergarten, I had a teacher named Mrs. Drescher. She was nice. My friend was Cohen. I loved kindergarten.

Now I am in first grade. I have a teacher named Mrs. Welch. She is ok. I have a friend named Adi. Adi has a cool mask. I love first grade.

When I grow up I want to be rich so I can have a jet pack. I would like to be rich.


I thought this was so cute and so funny that he put that his kindergarten teacher was nice and his current teacher is ok. We're going to have to work on the sucking up with him. :)

I also loved that he put he wanted to be rich because then he could have a jet pack. I asked him about it at dinner and he said he just made something up so he could be done. Yep, good 'ole Reid... still about as unenthusiastic about school as he can be.

He also told us that he was mad that Mrs. Welch made him write "I think that was funny" at the end of his story about fruit snacks and pancakes because he does not think that it is funny. He didn't have a detailed ending on his first draft so she "made" him put that.

I couldn't read what kind of mask Adi had but finally figured out that it's "cool." I remember him telling me about it now, it's some type of ski mask/stocking cap type hat.


Reid got +'s on all three of the grading criteria: Writes sentences with capital letters and punctuation, adds details to each topic sentence, and spells "expected" words correctly and close on others. The teacher wrote 'excellent effort' on his paper.

No comments: